French Onion Dip
This dip is PERFECT for any occasion you could think of... parties, book clubs, or a snack for throughout the week. Whenever I make this it's gone within minutes. I usually serve it with Fritos, but it would be perfect with carrots, celery, or cucumbers for a healthier alternative as well!
Start with 2 or 3 large yellow onions, depending on their size.
Cut the onions in half, and with the flat side down, slice them into thin rounds. The rings, if you will, will easily separate from one another once they're sliced.
Melt some butter in a large skillet so the onions have room to caramelize. I ALWAYS use grass-fed European style butter -- it is SO much better than regular butter. Kerrygold is a dank brand. It's a little more expensive, but it's definitely worth it.
Add the sliced onions, salt, pepper and cayenne.
Be patient with the onions!! It's really tempting to turn the heat way up and try to get them cooked more quickly this way. DON'T DO IT! You want them to cook low and slow for 30 minutes minimum. This is when I turned the heat off, but they could go for another 10 minutes or so if you wanted them to. They will turn a nice dark color and shrink in size significantly.
Turn off the heat, and add cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream. The warmth of the pan will help them melt and combine with the onions.
Once everything is combined -- top with thinly sliced green onions. Serve with Fritos or crackers!
FRENCH ONION DIP
2-3 large yellow onions
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
green onions, sliced, for garnish
1. Cut the onions in half, and with the flat side down, slice them into thin rounds. You will have roughly 3 cups of onions.
2. Heat the butter in a large saute pan over medium low heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and allow them to caramelize for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn the heat off and add the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise to the still warm pan.
4. Stir until the onions and the other ingredients are well combined.
5. Top with thinly sliced green onions and enjoy with Fritos!